- 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Pinch of freshly ground nutmeg
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place potatoes, turnips, parsnip, and garlic in a medium saucepan; add enough half-and-half to cover. Place over medium high heat and cook until vegetables are easily pierced with the tip of a knife, 10 to 15 minutes. Drain, reserving cooking liquid.
Return vegetables to saucepan and add egg, butter, and 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Using a potato masher, mash until smooth, adding more cooking liquid as necessary. Season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper and serve immediately.