Lasagna with Bean Ragu
Chef Cesare Casella's variation on traditional lasagna includes rich flavors like pancetta and red wine, as well as herb-infused cannellini bean ragu.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, October 2010
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 2 ounces coarsely chopped pancetta
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
- 3 1/2 cups Cesare's Cannellini Beans
- 1/3 cup red wine
- 2 cups Cesare's Tomato Sauce
- 2 cups store-bought low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound store-bought lasagna sheets, or Cesare's Fresh Egg Pasta Sheets
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Place onions, celery, carrot, and pancetta in the bowl of a food processor; pulse until finely chopped.
Place 1 tablespoon olive oil, chopped vegetable mixture, and rosemary in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are caramelized, about 10 minutes. Add beans and continue cooking 5 minutes more. Add red wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half.
Add tomato sauce and stock; stir to combine. Transfer to oven and cook for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, return to oven and cook for 10 minutes more.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add 1/2 cup salt and return to a boil. Add lasagna pieces and cook, according to package directions, until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta cooking water.
Transfer pasta to Dutch oven, adding pasta cooking water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if sauce seems too thick. Continue to cook pasta, stirring, in the hot sauce, 3 to 5 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
In a large bowl or serving platter, place a layer of just the sauce; top with a layer of pasta and sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Repeat layering process two more times with remaining sauce, pasta, and cheese; sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately.