Cesare's Tomato Sauce
Chunky vegetables and plenty of fresh basil give Cesare Casella's tomato sauce its distinctively Italian taste. Use it in his Lasagna with Bean Ragu.
- Yield: Makes about 8 cups
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, October 2010
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped red onions
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped celery
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped carrot
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons freshly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 1/4 cups canned whole tomatoes, crushed
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
Place onion, celery, carrot, garlic, half of the basil, half of the parsley, and olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring, until vegetables are softened and begin to caramelize, about 20 minutes.
Add red pepper flakes and season with salt; cook, stirring, until vegetables are soft and golden, 15 to 20 minutes more. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Add 1 cup water, remaining basil and parsley. Season with salt and let simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper before using.