Cauliflower Gratin with Roasted Chestnuts and Parmesan Cream
This decadent cauliflower gratin from Chris and Idie Hastings's "Hot and Hot Fish Club Cookbook" would make a welcome addition to any Thanksgiving table.
- Servings: 8
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010
- 1 pound white cauliflower florets, preferably heirloom, cut into small, bite-size pieces
- 3/4 pound purple cauliflower florets, preferably heirloom, cut into small, bite-size pieces
- 12 fresh chestnuts, roasted, peeled, and chopped
- 4 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups Herb Breadcrumbs
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
In a medium stockpot or Dutch oven, combine cauliflower, chestnuts, and heavy cream. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; immediately reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cauliflower is tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove cauliflower and chestnuts from cream and set aside to cool.
Add Parmesan and thyme to cream and return to a boil over medium-high heat; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until cream mixture is reduced by half and slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.
Return cauliflower to cream mixture and season with salt and pepper. Spoon cauliflower mixture evenly into eight 8-ounce ramekins; top each with 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs.
Place ramekins on a baking sheet and transfer to oven; bake until topping is golden and sides are bubbling, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve warm.