Seared Scallops with Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Hazelnut Vinaigrette
Caramelized scallops embody the ultimate fresh-from-the-sea flavor. Chopped hazelnuts and a hazelnut vinaigrette lend a unique flavor.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, October 2010
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 20 large sea scallops (about 1 pound), rinsed and patted dry, tough muscles removed
- Hazelnut Vinaigrette
- Garnish: hazelnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Heat a rimmed baking sheet in oven for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, toss brussels sprouts with 2 tablespoons oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Spread onto heated baking sheet, and roast, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and crisp in spots, 12 to 15 minutes.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining tablespoon oil and the scallops. Season with salt, and sear for 4 minutes. Flip scallops, season with salt, and cook until opaque, about 3 minutes. Serve brussels sprouts and scallops drizzled with Hazelnut Vinaigrette. Garnish with hazelnuts.