Apple Crostata with Cheddar Crust
Cheddar in the pie dough and fresh apples in the filling give this dessert a rustic charm.Serving idea: Farmhouse-style cheddar cheese (murrayscheese.com) pairs well with this crostata.
For the Crust
- 1 disk Cheddar Pie Dough
- All-purpose flour, for surface
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten for egg wash
- Coarse sanding sugar, for sprinkling
For the Filling
- 2 tart apples, such as Granny Smith or Gala, plus 2 McIntosh apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves, warmed
Make the crust: Roll out dough to a 13-inch round, about 1/8 inch thick, on a lightly floured surface. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Make the filling: Toss together apples, granulated sugar, flour, lemon juice, and cinnamon.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spread filling over dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border. Fold edges in to form a crust; brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with sanding sugar. Refrigerate until edges are firm, about 30 minutes.
Bake crostata until apples are tender and crust is golden, about 1 hour 20 minutes. Let cool slightly. Brush apples with apricot preserves.