Caesar Salad with Baby Romaine
A little of the full-flavored dressing goes a long way. Chill the olive oil so it emulsifies nicely with the other ingredients.
- 3 garlic cloves (1 coarsely chopped)
- 12 slices baguette (1/4 inch thick)
- 1/4 cup olive oil, chilled, plus 1 tablespoon
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 oil-packed anchovy fillet, chopped
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 6 heads baby romaine lettuce, halved (leave core intact), or 6 cups chopped romaine lettuce
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using the 2 whole garlic cloves, rub both sides of each baguette slice. Brush with 1 tablespoon oil, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool. Break each crouton in half.
Puree chopped garlic, anchovy, yolk, grated cheese, juice, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a food processor. Pulse in 1/4 cup oil. Toss lettuce and croutons with 1/4 cup dressing. Season with pepper. Top with cheese shavings.