This double-cheese grits recipe from TV chef Sarah Mastracco is as creamy as they come. Use it in her Shrimp and Cheese Grits recipe.
- 2 cups stone-ground grits
- 2 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium chicken stock, plus more as necessary
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
Place grits in a large bowl; add 4 cups water; stir (light bran will rise to the top); and drain.
Bring chicken stock and milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When liquid begins to boil, slowly whisk in grits; cook, whisking constantly, for 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 20 minutes.
Stir in both cheeses until melted and well combined. If grits seem a little too thick, add more stock to loosen. Season with salt and pepper and serve.