Sheet Pound Cake
This recipe is the bottom layer of the Strawberry Shortcake Jellies.
- Vegetable oil, cooking spray
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for sheet
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 ounces (5 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-by-13-inch rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray, and line with parchment. Dust with flour, tapping out excess. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.
Cream butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy. Beat in zest if desired, and vanilla. Add eggs, 1 at time, beating well after each addition. Reduce speed to medium, and beat in flour mixture in 2 additions, alternating with milk.
Spread batter into prepared sheet. Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes. Let cool in sheet on a wire rack.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, May 2009