Chive and Black Pepper Biscuits
Chives and freshly ground pepper add a surprising bite to these biscuits.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 2 dozen
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- 4 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for surface, fingers, and biscuit cutter
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chives
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Whisk together flour, chives, baking powder, sugar, baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons pepper. Cut in butter with a pastry cutter or rub in with your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs with a few large pieces remaining.
Stir in buttermilk. Dough should be slightly sticky; do not overmix.
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and pat into a 1 1/2-inch-thick round using floured fingers; do not overwork dough. Using a floured 2-inch cutter, cut out 24 biscuits.
Transfer biscuits to a baking sheet, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until golden and flecked with brown spots, 20 to 22 minutes. Transfer biscuits to a wire rack, and let cool.