Tuna Poached in Olive Oil
- 2 pounds tuna steaks, about 2 inches thick
- Coarse sea salt
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 strips (2 by 1 inch) lemon zest
- 4 small garlic cloves, peeled
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs, plus more for garnish
- Cracked black pepper, for serving
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- Tomato and Green-Olive Salad
Season tuna with salt. Stir 3 cups oil, the lemon zest, garlic, and thyme in a medium saucepan. Add tuna and more oil to cover tuna by 1/2 inch if needed. Set over medium-low heat. Cook, covered, until tuna is opaque, 30 to 40 minutes. Remove from heat; let cool completely. Tuna in oil can be refrigerated in an airtight container up to 3 days.
To serve, remove tuna from cooking oil with tongs; transfer to paper towels to drain. Discard cooking oil. Flake into 2-inch pieces. Drizzle with oil; sprinkle with pepper. Serve with lemon and the tomato-olive salad. Garnish with thyme.