Chutneys are delicious (and low fat) when paired with holiday leftovers. This cranberry chutney goes perfectly atop an open-faced turkey sandwich.
- Yield: Makes 6 half-pint jars
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November 1998
- 1/2 cup apple-cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 cup candied orange peel, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup finely diced celery, (2 to 3 ribs)
- 1 1/2 cups finely diced red onion, (1 medium red onion)
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 5 cups whole frozen cranberries
Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, cardamom, orange peel, celery, onion, apples, and 2 cups water in a low-sided, 6-quart saucepan. Set over medium-high heat; bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to a simmer, and cook until apples are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed, 30 to 40 minutes.
Stir in cranberries; cook until they begin to pop, 10 to 15 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
Transfer to a large bowl set over an ice bath to chill; store in airtight container, refrigerated, up to 4 weeks.