Cream Cheese Frosting
Once you're done, use the frosting to dazzle friends with your very own Hummingbird Cake.
- Yield: Makes 1 1/2 quarts (enough for one 9-inch layer cake)
Photography: Alan Benson
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2003
- 1 pound (16 ounces) cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into pieces, room temperature
- 2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted
In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat cream cheese and vanilla until light and creamy, about 2 minutes. With mixer on medium speed, gradually add butter, beating until incorporated.
Reduce mixer speed to low. Gradually add sugar, beating until incorporated. Use immediately, or cover and refrigerate up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before using.