Under 30 Minutes
- 1 cup dried French green lentils
- 2 shallots, finely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed with the flat side of a large knife
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper
Put lentils, shallots, garlic, rosemary, and bay leaf in a medium saucepan; cover with cold water by 2 inches (about 5 cups water). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Partially cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until lentils are tender, about 20 minutes.
Drain; discard garlic, rosemary stem, and bay leaf. Return lentil mixture to pan. Stir in salt, vinegar, and oil; season with pepper. Cover to keep warm until ready to serve.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, October Fall 2005