Mini Honey Fruitcakes
Fruitcakes are the quintessential holiday treat. Individual cakes are ideal for a buffet-style party.
For the fruitcakes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- Coarse salt
- 1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup ricotta cheese or 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup pecans or almonds, toasted and ground
- 1 cup coarsely chopped dried apricots (5 ounces)
- 3/4 cup chopped dried cranberries or cherries (5 ounces)
For the honey glaze (Makes 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- Garnish: dried apricots, cranberries, or cherries
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Whisk together flour, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon salt.
Beat butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Beat in honey and jam, and then eggs. Add flour mixture, and beat, alternating with ricotta. Beat in nuts and dried fruit.
Press a square of parchment into each cup of a standard muffin tin to create a liner (you can also use baking cups). Divide batter evenly among liners. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer tin to a wire rack. Let stand for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, make the honey glaze: Bring honey to a boil in a saucepan, and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in lemon juice and salt.
Brush fruitcakes with glaze, and garnish with dried fruit. Brush again with glaze. Remove from pans. Let cool. Serve fruitcakes with Mixed Citrus Sauce.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, December 2010