Lemon and Caper Mashed Potatoes
To keep mashed potatoes warm for up to two hours, place them in a heatproof bowl over a pot filled with three inches of barely simmering water; cover to seal in the steam.
- 2 pounds Yukon gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Coarse salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
Place potatoes in a large saucepan, and fill with enough water to cover potatoes by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add a generous amount of salt; reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until potatoes are tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 15 minutes. Drain; using a potato masher or potato ricer, mash potatoes.
Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine 5 tablespoons butter, milk, lemon juice, zest, and capers. Heat until butter is melted and the mixture is warm to the touch.
Fold the milk mixture and parsley into the mashed potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Dot with remaining tablespoon butter just before serving.