Tuna Nicoise Sandwiches
Reinvent a traditional nicoise salad by tucking it into a sandwich. Here, we've piled tuna, eggs, olives, and onions between slices of crusty ciabatta.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Ellie Miller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2005
- 1/2 white onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 jars (7 ounces each) best-quality tuna packed in olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges, for serving
- 4 small ciabatta rolls, split horizontally
- 2 heads Bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- 1/2 cup nicoise olives, pitted
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and thinly sliced
Put onions, 1/4 cup oil, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl; season with pepper. Toss to combine. Let stand 10 minutes.
Add tuna and its oil to onion mixture. Add lemon juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt; season with pepper. Gently toss to combine.
Cover bottom halves of rolls with lettuce. Top with olives, eggs, and tuna mixture, dividing evenly. Drizzle each with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Cover with top halves of rolls. Serve with lemon wedges.