Frisee, Orange, and Toasted Hazelnut Salad
To remove the pith and peel from an orange, first slice off the stem and flower end. Place the orange cut-side down, and use a sharp knife to cut away the white and peel in one curved motion, from end to end.
For the Garnish
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 seedless oranges, pith and peel removed
- 1 medium head frisee
- 1/4 cup toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk together orange juice, vinegar, zest, cardamom, ginger, mustard seeds, salt, and pepper. Slowly whisk in olive oil until combined, and set aside.
Slice oranges thinly, crosswise, and arrange slices on four salad plates; set aside. Place frisee in a large bowl, and toss with the dressing. Divide frisee among four salad plates, and sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts. Serve immediately.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, November 1997