Espresso Icebox Coins
Medaglia D'oro Instant Espresso Coffee by Oro Fino is available from Surfas.
- Yield: Makes about 7 dozen
Photography: Ken Kochey
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2007
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso coffee
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2 sticks (16 tablespoons) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- Unsweetened cocoa powder, for dusting
Stir together espresso and boiling water. Beat butter and sugar with a mixer until pale and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla and espresso. Add flour and salt, and beat until just combined. Beat in chocolate.
Divide dough in half, and shape into two 10-inch-long logs, about 1 1/4 inches in diameter. Wrap each in parchment, and freeze for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Let dough stand at room temperature for 5 minutes. Slice into 1/4-inch-thick rounds, and space 1 inch apart on parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake until centers are set and edges are golden, about 12 minutes. Let cool on wire racks. (Cookies can be stored in airtight containers for up to 3 days.) Before serving, dust with cocoa powder.