Source: The Martha Stewart Show, November 2010
- 1/4 cup olive or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon brown mustard seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 15 to 20 fresh curry leaves or 10 fresh basil leaves, torn
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup apple cider or white-wine vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon bright red paprika
Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven or high-sided skillet. Add mustard seeds. When mustard seeds begin to pop, add fenugreek and peppercorns; cook, stirring, about 30 seconds.
Add curry leaves, chicken, garlic, vinegar, salt, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, and paprika; stir to combine and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low, simmer for 20 minutes.
Uncover and increase heat to high; cook, stirring and turning, until liquid evaporates and chicken browns on all sides.