Asparagus, Green Bean, and Hearts of Palm Salad
This delicious recipe is courtesy of Alexis Stewart.
- 1/4 cup white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill leaves
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and sliced crosswise
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (7- or 8-ounce) can hearts of palm, rinsed, drained, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium vine-ripened tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 small head iceberg lettuce, thinly sliced
In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, sugar, and dill. Add cucumbers and onion, season with salt and pepper, and toss until well combined; set aside.
Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Add salt and return water to a boil. Prepare an ice-water bath; set aside. Place asparagus in boiling water; cook until just tender, 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer asparagus to ice-water bath for 1 minute, remove and pat dry; transfer to cucumber mixture. Add beans to the boiling water, and cook until just tender, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer beans to the ice-water bath for 1 minute, remove and pat dry. Transfer beans to cucumber mixture along with hearts of palm, tomatoes, and lettuce. Season with salt and pepper; toss until well combined.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2007