Israeli Couscous Pilaf
Israeli couscous is available at Middle Eastern groceries and by mail order.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December/January 1995/1996
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 2/3 cups Israeli couscous
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
Bring 2 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat olive oil and butter over medium-low heat. Add onions, and cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in cumin and cayenne pepper, and saute for 1 minute more.
Stir in couscous, salt, pepper, and boiling water. Cover, and simmer over low heat until tender and water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. Add parsley, and serve.