- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, June 2007
- 2 small garlic cloves
- Coarse salt
- 2 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 3 tablespoons water, plus about 3 teaspoons, room temperature
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
Using the side of a chef's knife, mash garlic and 1/8 teaspoon salt into a paste.
Pulse egg yolks and mustard in a food processor. With machine running, add enough canola oil, drop by drop, until mixture begins to emulsify (about 1/3 of the canola oil). Add remaining canola oil in a very thin, steady stream; as mixture thickens, add 1 tablespoon water. Continue blending, and add olive oil (and as much water as needed to create a smooth, light consistency). Transfer to a bowl. Stir in garlic paste, lemon juice, and salt.