Chef Marcus Samuelsson shared this recipe for jerk mix from his cookbook, "The Soul of New Cuisine."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeno chiles, seeds and ribs removed, and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons light-brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup red-wine vinegar
Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, add garlic and jalapenos and saute until garlic just starts to brown, about 3 minutes. Add allspice, cinnamon, cayenne, and brown sugar. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture starts to clump together. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Transfer mixture to jar of a blender. Add thyme, white pepper, salt, ginger, scallions, lime juice, and vinegar; blend until smooth. Jerk mix may be stored in an airtight container, refrigerated, up to 10 days.
SourceThe Martha Stewart Show, February Winter 2007