Sauteed Spring Vegetables
These vegetables are used as a bed for salmon, but would also be good as a side dish with grilled meat or on their own as a warm salad.
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 ounces carrots, peeled and cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
- 6 ounces beans (wax and/or green), trimmed and cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
- 6 ounces asparagus (green and/or white), tough ends trimmed, cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
- 6 ounces sugar snap peas, trimmed, strings removed, and cut diagonally into 1-inch-long pieces
- 6 ounces cherry tomatoes (yellow and/or orange), cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup basil leaves, torn in half
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt and carrots; cook 2 minutes. Add beans, asparagus, and sugar snap peas; cook until tender but still crisp, about 2 minutes. Drain and transfer vegetables to a large bowl of ice water to cool. Drain again.
Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add onions; cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add blanched vegetables, tomatoes, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Raise heat to medium high; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 5 minutes.
Remove from heat, add basil, and toss to combine.