This chutney is a departure from the usual cranberry sauce, thanks to a touch of spice.
- 1 cup cider vinegar (preferably unfiltered, such as Bragg Organic, organicdirect.com)
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup mixed dried fruit, such as currants, golden raisins, and chopped prunes
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger (from one 1 1/2-inch piece)
- 10 whole cloves, crushed with the side of a knife (1/2 teaspoon)
- 2 whole cinnamon sticks
- 12 ounces fresh or thawed frozen cranberries (3 1/2 cups)
Bring vinegar, sugar, onion, dried fruit, ginger, cloves, and cinnamon sticks to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook, stirring until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes. Add cranberries. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer gently until cranberries are tender and start to burst, 10 to 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl, and let stand until cooled. Refrigerate until chilled if desired.