Avocado Bruschetta with Green Sauce
The sauce on this bruschetta is like pesto, but the avocado chunks and parsley give it a different texture and tang.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July/August 1997
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, pitted and peeled
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 slices peasant bread, cut 1/2 inch thick and toasted
For the Sauce
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled
- 3/4 cup packed parsley leaves, plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup packed basil leaves
- 5 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons red-wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Place the garlic in a food processor, and pulse. Add the parsley, basil, 5 tablespoons olive oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste; puree. Set the sauce aside.
Cut the avocados into 1/2-inch chunks. Toss with the lemon juice and remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil.
Spread a scant tablespoon of the green sauce on each slice of bread. Arrange the avocado chunks on the bread, sprinkle with a pinch of ground pepper, and garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.