Cuban Black Beans
Canned beans and puree help make this recipe quick and easy.
- Servings: 12
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1998
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, finely diced
- 4 cans black beans with juice (15 1/2 ounces each )
- 1 1/2 cups canned black-bean puree
- 5 dried bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red pepper, for garnish (optional)
Heat olive oil in a medium stockpot set over medium-low heat. Add onions, garlic, and bell peppers; cook until onions are soft but still translucent, about 25 minutes.
Add black beans, black-bean puree, bay leaves, cumin, and oregano. Season with salt and black pepper; stir.
Cook mixture until thickened, about 10 minutes. Stir in vinegar and cilantro. Garnish with more cilantro and the red pepper, if desired.