Saffron Rice with Tomatoes and Fresh Oregano
In this recipe, the rice is cooked in boiling water just like pasta. Toss it very gently, or the rice will become gummy.
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 tablespoons coarse salt, plus more to taste
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine or long-grain white rice
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, seeded and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- Freshly ground pepper
- 6 sprigs fresh oregano, leaves picked from stem
Fill a medium saucepan with cold water. Add saffron and 2 tablespoons salt. Bring water to a boil. Stir in rice, and cook until rice is tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain well.
Place rice in serving bowl. Add butter and tomatoes, and toss very gently. Season with salt, pepper, and fresh oregano.