Caramelized Turnips and Shallots
- 1 3/4 pounds white turnips, peeled and cut into pieces 2 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches in size
- 1 3/4 pounds golden turnips or rutabagas, peeled, cut into pieces 2 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches in size
- 10 shallots (about 10 ounces), peeled, root end intact
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup red-wine vinegar
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Put turnips, shallots, and oil on a rimmed baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper; toss. Spread in a single layer. Roast until tender and golden brown, about 35 minutes.
Put vinegar, bay leaves, and thyme in a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer; cook until reduced by about half, about 10 minutes. Add sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt; stir to dissolve. Add butter, and cook over medium heat until reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 10 minutes. Discard thyme. Pour over roasted vegetables; toss to coat. Serve immediately.