Asparagus and Green Beans with Chili-Orange Oil
Cook the vegetables a day ahead, then cover and refrigerate on a paper-towel-lined baking sheet.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 wide strips orange zest, plus 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 bunches asparagus (about 1 pound each), trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 pound green beans, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/2 cup tightly packed fresh basil leaves
In a small saucepan, bring oil, orange zest, and red-pepper flakes to a simmer over medium-high and cook 3 minutes. Remove chili-orange oil from heat and set aside. (To store, refrigerate cooled oil in an airtight container, up to 3 days.)
Working in two batches, in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook asparagus and green beans separately until bright-green and crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Transfer to a colander and rinse with cool water to stop the cooking.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon chili-orange oil over high. Add half the vegetables and cook, stirring often, until warmed through and tender, 3 minutes. Stir in half the basil, season with salt and pepper, and transfer to a platter. Repeat with 1 tablespoon oil and remaining vegetables and basil. Drizzle with remaining oil and orange juice and serve immediately.