Bread Soup with Spring Vegetables
This is a lighter, brothy take on the Italian soup ribollita, which is also made with leftover bread. If using frozen peas, add them to the soup along with the bread.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced medium
- 1 large celery stalk, diced medium
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1 sprig thyme
- 3 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas
- 2 to 3 slices day-old crusty bread, torn into bite-size pieces
- Roughly chopped fresh parsley, for serving
In a large Dutch oven or heavy pot, heat oil over medium. Add onion, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent, 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add zucchini and thyme and cook until thyme is fragrant, 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high, add broth and 1 cup water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and rapidly simmer 10 minutes. Add peas and cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove thyme stems, stir in bread, and season to taste with salt and pepper. To serve, top with parsley.
SourceEveryday Food, April 2011