Brown Chicken Stock
- 5 pounds chicken wings, necks, and backs
- 4 medium onions, unpeeled and halved
- 3 large carrots, scrubbed and coarsley chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1 medium leek, white part only
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 bouquet garni: 2 sprigs parsley, 2 sprigs thyme, 1 bay leaf, tied together with kitchen twine
- 20 whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup dry white wine
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Spread chicken in a large roasting pan and roast until golden brown, 15 to 25 minutes. Add onions, carrots, tomatoes, and leek. Roast 25 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large stockpot. Add cloves, bouquet garni, and peppercorns.
Place roasting pan over medium heat. Add wine and bring to a boil, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add to stockpot.
Add 10 cups of water to stockpot, or enough to cover bones by 2 inches. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, and cook, skimming as necessary, for 2 hours.
Strain through a fine mesh sieve lined with damp cheesecloth. Cool to room temperature. Transfer to an airtight container. Refrigerate for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.