Rye Toasts with Smoked Salmon, Cucumber, and Red Onion
Our rye toasts with low-fat cream cheese and smoked salmon will cure a craving for bagels and lox -- with fewer calories.
- Servings: 4
Photography: Lisa Hubbard
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2004
- 8 thin slices rye bread
- 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon low-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 English (hothouse) cucumber, peeled and thinly sliced diagonally
- 4 ounces thinly sliced smoked salmon
- 1/2 medium red onion, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon drained capers, rinsed and patted dry
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Toast bread slices in oven on a baking sheet, turning once, until golden, about 10 minutes.
Spread 2 teaspoons cream cheese on each toast. Divide cucumber, salmon, onions, and capers among toasts; season with pepper. Squeeze lemon juice on top.