Boeuf Bourguignon Soup
Rich with meat and vegetables, this hearty and versatile riff on Boeuf Bourguignon will satisfy all season long. From first bite to last slurp, you won't be able to get enough of this French bistro-style soup, made entirely in one pot. This recipe was also featured on "Mad Hungry" with Lucinda Scala Quinn.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 6
Source: Martha Stewart Living, December 2010
- 4 bone-in short ribs (2 inches thick, 2 pounds total)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms, quartered
- 3 carrots, 2 finely chopped and 1 cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3 shallots, minced
- 2 celery stalks, coarsely chopped
- 2 strips bacon, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 cup dry red wine, such as Burgundy
- 8 cups homemade or store-bought low-sodium beef stock
- 2 cups water
- Herbed Egg Noodles, for serving
- Horseradish Chive Bread, for serving
Season ribs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Coat with cornstarch. Heat oil in a large heavy pot (preferably enameled cast iron) over medium-high heat. Lightly brown ribs on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Add mushrooms to pot. Cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; add cubed carrot.
Add shallots, celery, bacon, and chopped carrots to pot. Cook until caramelized, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.
Return ribs with plate juices to pot. Add thyme and bay leaf. Raise heat to high. Add wine. Cook, scraping up brown bits with a wooden spoon, until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add stock and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until beef is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
Remove ribs. Separate meat from bones; discard. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pot. Add reserved mushroom-carrot mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until cubed carrots are tender. Season with salt. Ladle soup over bowls of herbed egg noodles and serve with horseradish chive bread on the side.