10-Hour Braised Lamb
Serve this savory braised lamb recipe -- adapted from "The Blackberry Farm Cookbook", by chef Sam Beall -- for your next special dinner.
- Servings: 4
Source: The Martha Stewart Show, Episode 5021
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 lamb neck, about 1 1/2 pounds or 1 1/2 pounds lamb shank
- 2 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups Pinot Noir or other light red wine
- 3 cups Vegetable Stock for 10-Hour Braised Lamb, or low-sodium, store-bought vegetable broth, heated
Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
Place carrots, onion, and celery in an even layer in a roasting pan. Season lamb with 2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Set lamb on top of vegetables. Transfer to oven and cook for 6 hours.
After about 5 1/2 hours of cooking, place Pinot Noir in a medium saucepan and simmer over medium-high heat until reduced to 1 1/2 cups.
Remove roasting pan from oven and add wine to pan, along with stock and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cover roasting pan with parchment paper-lined foil and return to oven. Continue cooking until meat is almost falling off the bone, about 4 hours more.
Remove lamb from braising liquid and use a fork to scrape meat away from bones. Divide meat among 4 plates and serve immediately.