Source: The Martha Stewart Show, February 2010
- 3 (28-ounce) cans San Marzano tomatoes, halved and seeded
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup coarse salt
- 10 cloves garlic, smashed
- 2 lemon peels, cut into 3/4-inch-thick strips
- 2 orange peels, cut into 3/4-inch-thick strips
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 to 5 sprigs fresh oregano
- 8 cups extra-virgin olive oil
Set a perforated baking sheet or a fine-mesh rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Place tomatoes on perforated baking sheet; sprinkle with sugar and salt. Cover and transfer to refrigerator; let stand overnight to drain.
Transfer tomatoes to a large bowl; set aside. Discard liquid. Place garlic, lemon peel, orange peel, thyme, oregano, and olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook until heated through. Pour garlic mixture over tomatoes. Cover and transfer to refrigerator; let marinate overnight. At this point, tomatoes and marinade may be stored, covered and refrigerated, until ready to use, up to 2 weeks.
To use tomatoes, remove from marinade and finely chop; reserve marinade for another use.