Blueberry Buttermilk Flapjacks
Good old American fluffy flapjacks, dotted with blueberries and drizzled with maple syrup, are sweetly enticing for their flavor and their familiarity.
- Yield: Makes 10
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2005
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted, plus more, softened, for skillet and serving
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup blueberries, plus more for garnish
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Whisk together buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, 1 tablespoon butter, and 2 tablespoons oil; whisk into flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Set batter aside.
Heat 1/2 teaspoon butter and remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour in 1/3 cup batter. Cook until small bubbles form, about 3 minutes. Flip; cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter as needed. Serve with butter and syrup; garnish with berries.