This chocolate-lined crust has been subtly -- and seasonally -- spiced to complement our Pumpkin-Chocolate Tart's rich filling.
- Yield: Makes one 10-inch tart shell
Photography: Steve Baxter
Source: Martha Stewart Living, November Fall 2003
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, cocoa, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. Add butter; mix on low speed until butter is the size of small peas, about 5 minutes. Add egg; mix until ingredients come together to form a dough.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out dough to just thicker than 1/8 inch. Brush off excess flour; transfer dough to a 10-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Press dough into bottom and up sides of pan; trim excess flush with edge. Lightly prick bottom of dough all over with a fork. Chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
Bake shell until firm, about 15 minutes. Immediately sprinkle chocolate over bottom of shell; smooth with a spatula.