Crumb Cake Muffins
These muffins are best eaten still warm from the oven. If you need to make them a day ahead, store them in an airtight container, and reheat in a 350 degree oven for about ten minutes. The batter can also be used to make coffee cake; bake it in an eight-inch springform pan for about forty minutes.
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped candied ginger
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- Vegetable-oil cooking spray
In a medium bowl, combine oats, brown sugar, ginger, flour, and melted butter, and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Coat the muffin tins with cooking spray, and set aside. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine. Place buttermilk, applesauce, and vegetable oil in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine. Stir into flour mixture until well combined. Fold in egg whites.
Place 2 heaping tablespoons batter in each muffin tin. Sprinkle with a generous tablespoon of reserved topping; press gently to adhere topping to cake. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in pan for 15 minutes before serving.