If you are concerned about using raw eggs, use storebought mayonnaise and start at step three.
- Yield: Makes about 2 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, August/September 1992
- 1 large egg
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 pinch of sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3/4 cup light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice, plus more to taste
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped shallots
Place egg, egg yolks, salt, sugar, and pepper in the bowl of a food processor. Process until well blended.
With the machine running, slowly drizzle in olive oil. Add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, then drizzle in vegetable oil. Taste for seasonings, adding more lemon juice, salt, or pepper if needed.
Stir in capers, mustard, parsley, tarragon, chives, and shallots, and serve immediately.