Grilled Tomatoes with Yogurt
Thick, creamy Greek or Middle Eastern yogurt, available at specialty-food stores, is especially good with these tomatoes, but plain full-fat yogurt will also work.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, September 1996
- 4 ripe, red tomatoes (about 1 3/4 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for grill
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain yogurt, preferably Greek or Middle Eastern
Cut 1/2 inch off top of tomatoes. Sprinkle cut end of tomatoes with oregano, thyme, lemon juice, oil, salt, and pepper.
Brush a grill or grill pan with oil. Heat to hot. Place tomatoes on the grill, cut side down. Grill until slightly charred, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn and grill until soft and warm throughout, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a dish, and serve with yogurt on the side.