- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for work surface, hands, and cutter
- 3 tablespoons sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/3 cup heavy cream, plus more for brushing
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Strawberry preserves, for serving
- Softly whipped cream, for serving
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
Sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until largest pieces are the size of small peas.
Using a fork, whisk together the cream and eggs in a large glass measuring cup. Make a well in the center of flour mixture, and pour in cream mixture. Stir lightly with fork just until the dough comes together (do not overmix).
Turn out dough onto a lightly floured work surface. With floured hands, gently pat dough into a 4 1/2-by-8 1/2-inch rectangle, about 3/4-inch thick. Using a floured 2-inch round cutter, cut out 8 to 10 rounds, and transfer them to lined baking sheet. Brush tops with cream, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake scones until golden brown, 16 to 20 minutes. Transfer scones to wire racks, and let cool. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with strawberry preserves and whipped cream.