The secret to memorable sauce is good-quality tomatoes and lots of fresh garlic.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 cans (28 ounces each) peeled whole tomatoes, pureed in a food processor
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic until soft and translucent, about 8 minutes. Add tomatoes, red-pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon salt, and some pepper. Simmer, covered, until thick, 25 minutes. Stir in herbs.
SourceMartha Stewart Living, January 2011