Israeli Couscous with Mint and Lemon
Israeli couscous has round grains about the size of small peas. If you use smaller-grained couscous, shorten the cooking time.
- Servings: 4
Source: Martha Stewart Living, February 2000
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup Israeli couscous
- 1 1/2 cups Homemade Chicken Stock, or canned low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In medium saucepan over medium-low heat, heat olive oil. Add shallot; cook until translucent but not browned, 3 to 5 minutes. Add couscous; stir to coat with oil. Add stock, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until couscous is soft and all liquid has been absorbed, about 15 minutes.
Remove couscous from heat; stir in lemon juice, lemon zest, and mint. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.