Tomato and Artichoke Sauce
- Servings: 4
- 1 halved lemon
- 4 thinly sliced large artichoke hearts
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 minced large cloves garlic
- Coarse salt, to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon roughly chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons finely julienned basil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Italian dry vermouth
- 5 tablespoons tomato sauce (preferably homemade)
- 1/2 cup Homemade Chicken Stock
Squeeze juice from lemon into bowl of ice water; add lemon halves and artichoke hearts while preparing the rest.
In a large skillet over medium heat, add oil, garlic, and salt. Stir in red-pepper flakes, parsley, basil, salt, and black pepper, and saute, stirring for 5 minutes. Add vermouth, and cook for 2 minutes. Add tomato sauce and chicken stock. Cook until slightly reduced, about 5 minutes.