Chicken, Fennel, and Artichoke Fricassee
There's incredible flavor in this one-skillet dish. Fennel and red onion intensify the braising liquid, which becomes a pan sauce.
- Total Time:
- Servings: 4
Photography: Johnny Miller
Source: Martha Stewart Living, April 2011
- 1 whole chicken (about 4 pounds), cut into 10 pieces
- Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch wedges, 1/4 cup fronds reserved
- 1 can (15 ounces) water-packed whole artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 small red onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh flat-leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Season chicken with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high heat until hot but not smoking. Brown chicken on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon fat. Reduce heat to medium-high. Brown fennel wedges, artichokes, and onion in skillet, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes.
Return chicken to skillet. Add stock. Transfer to oven. Braise until cooked through, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer chicken and vegetables to a platter. Reduce braising liquid over high heat to about 1/3 cup. Stir in vinegar. Pour sauce over chicken, and top with fennel fronds and parsley.