- Yield: Makes 6 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 3 tablespoons flax seed oil, plus more for pan
- 4 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup flax seeds
- 1/2 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup dried mission figs, quartered lengthwise
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place coconut on ungreased sheet, and toast until light golden, about 6 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Lightly oil two baking pans. In a large bowl, combine rolled oats, flax seeds, wheat germ, pumpkin seeds, and almonds; set aside.
In a small saucepan, bring cider to a boil; cook until liquid has reduced to 1/2 cup, about 7 minutes. Stir in oil, maple syrup, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and vanilla extract. Remove pan from heat, pour liquid over oat mixture, and combine thoroughly.
Divide mixture between baking pans, and bake until golden brown, about 40 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Transfer to a large bowl, and stir in dried cranberries, figs, and toasted coconut.