To dice an avocado: After removing the pit, use the tip of a paring knife to cut avocado into cubes, without slicing through the skin. Then, cupping avocado, scoop out with a large spoon.
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 1 1/3 cups
Source: Everyday Food, April 2006
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 large navel oranges
- 1/2 firm, ripe avocado, pitted and diced
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts, fish, or roasted pork (for serving)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
In a medium bowl, whisk lime juice and honey until combined. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Slice off both ends of each orange. Following the curve of the fruit, slice away peel and white pith. Cut oranges into quarters lengthwise; slice sections crosswise into 1/4-inch thick pieces. Transfer to bowl along with onion and avocado; toss gently to coat with dressing. Spoon over chicken breasts (or fish or roasted pork). Serve immediately.