Shrimp Stock for Rice Noodles with Chicken, Pork, and Shrimp
Use this stock to make flavorful Rice Noodles with Chicken, Pork, and Shrimp.
- Yield: Makes about 2 1/4 cups
Source: Martha Stewart Living, July 2007
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Shrimp shells from 1/2 pound small shrimp (from Rice Noodles with Chicken, Pork, and Shrimp)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon red-pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
- 1 cup water
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add shrimp shells, bay leaf, and red-pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, until shells are bright pink, about 1 minute. Add fish sauce, and cook for 1 minute. Stir in stock and water. Raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, 20 minutes. Pour through a fine sieve; discard solids. Stock can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month.